Wilsonara Tigersette 'Wild Court'

I wrote briefly last week about how budding orchids can be a beautiful display; while promising an update when the orchid I pictured finally bloomed. Well, it has graced me with a wonderful spray of flowers, showcasing the purple coloring and spots that were clearly visible while it was in bud.

 The Wilsonara genus is a man-made one, an intergeneric hybrid that combines Cochlioda, Odontoglossum and Oncidium. I have a few different examples of them, with the Wilsonara Tigersette 'Wild Court' as my most frequent and prolific bloomer.

Because of their varied parentage they come in a variety of shapes and colors, although a search through them shows that many have the star shape seen in my picture. Most Wilsonaras should hold up well to the temperate conditions of a house, 65-80F. In the northern hemisphere they do well in west and east facing windows, and should be shaded if in a south facing window. One important lesson I have learned from them is that they like to be kept a little more moist than other commonly sold Oncidiinae and Intergenerics. I accomplish this by adding about 40% sphagnum moss into the bark chip mix I pot them in, which keeps my watering schedules for all my plants intact, but you could also water them one extra time every week or so. I would suggest a pebble humidity tray for any indoor Wilsonara as well.

1 comments:

Theo said...

I know this was written a while ago, but I believe I have the same plant and I'm experiencing problems with it. The pseudo bulbs have mostly shriveled up and the roots are mostly gone. The plant is almost half of what it was before. There are signs of new green growth and it sits on top of a pebble tray, but my room is quite dry and it seems to not be growing new roots. Should I just invest in another one or give this one a shot?

Post a Comment